Monday, April 5, 2010

Are you there Diary? It's me, Katie.

I suppose I should tell you a little about myself, considering you're my new chosen outlet to voice my thoughts and opinions. My name is Katie (short for Katharine...as in Hepburn. I had a cool mother) and I live in Jacksonville, Florida. I wasn't born here, though. I originally came from a planet called New Jersey, but wound up here in the early eighties when Sitting Buffalo, a.k.a. My Dad, had his job transferred here. By the way, I'll explain what Sitting Buffalo is all about another day.

First, let me clear one thing up. I'm technically not a homemaker in the sense that some would describe. I often hear the word homemaker linked with other phrases like stay-at-home-wife or stay-at-home-mom. I am neither, sort of. I am a wife (woo-hoo!), but not a mother (boo!), but I do have a job that pays money (woo-hoo!). What I do for a living is pretty boring. Quite boring actually. So boring that I don't even have the energy to describe it. Let's just say that I work in an office with a stuffy, moody, old male attorney and even moodier, crankier old women. This crappy economy we live in today has everybody on edge, but I'm convinced the gals I begrudgingly call co-workers somehow manage to make even the most sour of folks out there look like balls of sunshine.

So why do I refer to myself as a homemaker? Because that's what I am, or am trying to be. My husband and I bought our first house last summer--built the house actually. Since then I've been putting all of my creative skills to the test. We are not rich people. I cannot afford to go out and buy every single little thing that my heart desires, so I often find myself taking on weird little projects to make my home pretty, pleasing, comfortable, or whatever a happy new home is supposed to look and feel like. I've enjoyed cooking the last few years now. Nobody taught me how to cook but myself. I'm still learning, still making mistakes, but I enjoy it a great deal and will surely post about recipes I enjoy. One thing I don't know how to do is sew. However, my mother-in-law obviously listended to me once profess that I wished I knew how, and bought me a sewing machine for Christmas. It's still sitting in the box, mocking me. I plan to learn a few basic skills and use it, I just haven't taken the initial first step to do so. It should make for some interesting blogging when I do try it, though...

Expect to hear me whine about putting in a sprinkler system, how expensive fences are, how no matter how much I vacuum and wipe there always seems to be dog hair everywhere, and a million other things. I'm trying my best to make a home, hence my title. Oh wait, I also referred to myself as an alien. The truth is sometimes I feel like one. I'm not green and I don't have tenticles coming out of my head, but at least once a day, every single day of my life, there is a moment where I stop and ask myself, how did I get here?, and, am I the only one who sees things this way? But there will be more of that to come.

Till then, nice meeting you. I hope we will get to be good friends.

TTFN,
Katie G.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Love it already!

    I bought myself a sewing machine several years ago, but I was so intimidated that it just sat and sat and sat and sat there. Until a friend showed me how to thread the bobbin, which was really what scared me the most. I've only used it a few times since then, but I was thinking I'd try to do more with it soon!

    ReplyDelete