Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Eatin'-N-Cheatin'

In less than 48 hours, it will be Thanksgiving Day. My first Thanksgiving...hosting, that is. This is the first year where things sort of fell into place where we weren't obligated to be somewhere specific for the holiday, so David and I jumped at the opportunity to finally spend a major holiday in our own house. We've been in our home for almost three years and we're always somewhere else. Not that I'm complaining, but it will certainly be a nice and relaxing change to not have to be on the road. Not to mention, I'm finally getting to bust out the humongous and beautiful stainless steel roasting pan, that was a wedding gift over three years ago, and put it to work. I know that Nella will be the happiest of all in this scenario. She gets to stay put in her own warm and cozy home rather than being boarded at the vet's--or "the clink" as I call it--which always breaks my heart when she has to go there. So we all win this year. Hurray!

So far, I have all of my groceries accounted for and a 19 pound turkey literally thawing out in my refrigerator at this very second. I don't have much of a game plan other than to be up and at 'em early to get Mr. Bird in the oven. I won't lie, I'm very, very nervous. I'm scared about having one of those Griswold moments where the turkey comes out looking beautiful but is actually a dried out, icky mess inside. That and the gravy. I'm not a gravy-maker in general--I'm more of a simple pan-sauce kind of gal (despite how many years I've lived in the south I still do not cook like a southerner), but I'm still up for the challenge. I'd like to attempt to make the gravy out of the pan drippings, but I have a plan B in case it ends up terrible. I have a very simple giblet gravy recipe that's pretty fool-proof on standby, so if all else fails, we can have that. In the end, though, I may end up making both gravies anyway, just to have a little variety on the table. I could cheat and use store-bought gravy, but personally I do not care for them. The real thing is so much better. But that doesn't mean I'm not cheating in other areas...

The rest of my menu is not very complicated at all. In fact, as I sat down and reviewed the menu this past weekend I realized that the majority of the dishes don't need to be prepared till much closer to meal time. I could make a few things ahead of time and keep them warm, but I'm not always wild about doing things that way; some things just taste better hot, right out of the oven. The most tedious thing to prepare, other than the turkey and gravy, will be the Snowy Mashed Potatoes, and that's only because of all the steps it requires--peeling, boiling, mashing, etc. other than that, it's all shaping up to be pretty darn simple.

One thing that David and I have in common in a huge way is that we're both very attached to the way things were done in our childhoods, particularly with food. It's not that we're afraid of change or of trying new things, but we both agree that some things are perfect just as they are and don't require fooling or fiddling with. I call it being traditional, although I'm sure some would instead call it being stubborn. In David's case, he's just very sentimental, plain and simple. So am I, but in my case, I'll admit, one of the biggest reasons I tend to cling to some of those traditions is simply because they make my mother feel close to me. Even after sixteen years of her being gone, I'll never stop feeling a little cheated at this time of year, robbed of her presence at a time when families are supposed to come together the most. Food is one of those small ways to keep her nearby, whether it's through mashed potatoes or store-bought stuffing.

Ahh, the stuffing. I know there are tons of great stuffing recipes out there. I've sampled some of them myself in the past and I whole-heartedly agree that homemade stuffings can be quite delicious and unique. However, my preoccupation this year lies with the bird. The perfect stuffing is not high on the agenda. So what are we doing? I'm pulling the traditional card here and we're having Stovetop Stuffing. I ate it growing up, David ate it growing up, so we're fine with that. Same thing with the cranberry sauce. Homemade cranberry sauce, with all its sweet variations, are very tasty indeed...but what is that I'm reaching for in my pocket? Oh yes, it's the traditional card. Cranberry sauce, with its lined stamp of sincerity--from the tin can it plops out of anyway--promises me perfectly round slices to place upon the table, as well as less of a headache to prepare. Canned cranberry sauce, you complete me...

As for the rest of the menu, pretty easy-peasy. Corn, peas, buttered biscuits, maybe some kind of sweet potato dish (that will be a last minute decision), and David's only two requirements--green bean casserole (which funny enough, I had never even heard of until college) and his Aunt Kathy's broccoli casserole recipe. When I was engaged and had my bridal shower, my party hostesses sent a blank recipe card inside every invitation asking the receiver to bring a recipe with their gift. I ended up with three different broccoli casserole recipes, which I found so funny for some reason. It turns out though, that David's Aunt Kathy's recipe is almost identical to my Aunt Roe's (my mom's sister). The only slight difference was in the amount of mayonnaise each used. So it turns out I'll be making what is essentially both aunts' recipes this year, which kind of tickles me and makes me feel like I'm passing on all sorts of family traditions.

So I'm cutting major corners (a much nicer way of saying I'm cheating) with the stuffing, cranberry sauce, and the biscuits (Pillsbury, baby!), and I am perfectly fine with that. As years go by I'm sure I'll give a little and add a larger variety of everything, but for right now, my very first Thanksgiving, this works. I can hover and hone my anxiety to one area--le turkey--all in the comfort of my favorite velour pants and my bare feet--my favorite way to be.

And of course my sister Beth and her family will be there and I'm sure she'll be willing to lend me a hand if I need it. I've already given David permission to watch all the football he wants, as long as he stays out of the kitchen and out of my way. I consider myself a decent cook when the food is done, but I tend to stress myself out in the kitchen during the process of getting there. The less people I have in my immediate presence, usually the better I function. It should be quite the hilarious show come Thursday morning...

As for my Weight Watchers Thanksgiving plan, I don't have much of one other than to enjoy myself. I'm not going to pig out--it doesn't take as much to fill me up as it used to anyway--but I'm also not going to deprive myself of anything either. If I want a slice of apple pie, I'm gonna have one! I don't need two slices, but one should suffice. Thursday is my normal weigh-in day, which leaves Friday as my start of the week. This will be no different. I'll enjoy myself, as I should, on Thursday, and whatever happens, happens. Friday is a new day, a new week, and a clean slate. There will be no guilty regrets that morning, that I can promise you.

What are all of you cooking up for Thanksgiving this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment