Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are

So apparently I just blew this man's mind because I knew who Jimmy Durante was.

We have Christmas music playing in our office and a gentleman I was assisting with some paperwork heard a song playing in the background. I guess he decided he was going to educate me and asked me in a 'let me teach you something' tone of voice, "Do you know who this is?"

I love moments like this...

Without any hesitation, I answered back, "Jimmy Durante." Well, this clearly caught him off guard. The look on his face was priceless. He asked me, "How did you know that?" I guess I really disappointed him. He was all ready to school me and I burst his bubble. So I shrugged and said, "I just do. I'm a walking vault of useless information."

Finally he proceeded to tell me that because he assumed I'm in my twenties (bless him), that I would have no idea, and the fact that I did know was amazing to him.

Ha!

So then he asks me, "Well, do you know what he was known for?"

Fool. Nice guy. But a fool.

I replied, "Besides his trademark schnozzola, that he was an actor, he was a singer, and he was a comedian."

And the man says to this, "Oh...I didn't know he was all of those things. I just knew he had a big nose."

Well, looks like one of us DID learn something new today!

3 comments:

  1. Um, wow. The nerve of that guy! And I can't believe he was going to say that his NOSE was what he was known for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was just a really random moment and conversation! I just found it funny that this guy completely didn't expect me to be able to answer his question. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's also funny is that I had a similar moment a few years back with Gail's friend Mark. I was out with her, Mark, and Dad at a place hearing live music at this bar. The band was playing "American Pie" and Mark asked me if I knew who wrote the song. I told him, "Don McClean" and he was bowled over. He said he expected me (or someone of my generation) to answer "Madonna". I was so glad that I did in fact know because he was totally condescending about it. Kind of like the guy in my office yesterday.

    ReplyDelete