Monday, August 8, 2011

Dedicated To One of the Ones I Love

I have three girlfriends who are my rocks in life. They live in different cities and we don't get to see one another as often as I'd like, but like any true friend, distance doesn't mean a whole lot. The old cliche of 'we pick up wherever we left off' absolutely applies to these gals.

Today I am thinking about one of those friends. Her name is Beth. Mary Beth actually, but dear God, don't ever call her Mary. Rarely do I call her Beth either. Sometimes it's Bethy, sometimes Biff. Or Biffy. Or Bay. Or Bess. Or Beff. The list goes on and on...

Beth loves Disneyworld, or anything Disney for that matter. She met her future husband there. He proposed to her there. They got married there. At the end of the cocktail hour at her wedding reception, speakers blasted "Be Our Guest" as we all entered the ballroom. Every table contained a Cinderella carriage. Guests adorned Mickey Mouse headbands. It was Disney magic! There was no wedding cake at Beth's wedding. Why? Because Beth doesn't like cake. Maybe some other brides would've had a cake anyway because that's what brides are supposed to do, but that's not how Biffy roles.

Beth has this strange, yet hilarious, way of raising her eyebrow up when she's questioning someone or something. Or it's just her version of the stink eye. The jury's still out.

Beth loves ballet. And red wine. And Billy Joel. My kind of girl and just a few of the reasons why she's so awesome.

I was in her car with her once and a man bumped her fender at a red light. She got out of the car and told the man, at the top of her lungs, to get off of his cell phone and to pay attention. I'm not that brave. I'd be too worried the man would pull out a gun and shoot me. But Beth has no fear.

Beth can cry at the drop of a hat, at both happy and sad occasions. It's because she feels things.

Beth loves baseball. And football. And soccer. She knows more about sports than a lot of men that I know. Certainly more than I could ever try to imagine knowing.

Beth is a good friend. She worries about her friends. She worries whether or not we're happy. Or if we're unhappy. Sometimes I worry that she worries too much.

Beth ends most of her written sentences with !!!! I don't know if it's because she thinks loudly in her head or she just wants to make sure that we can all hear her. I think she does it because she enjoys life and believes that anything worth saying should end in a !!!!

There are too many reasons to list what's special about my friend Beth. My fingers don't have the strength to tell the tale. But, boy oh boy, is she something else. I just wanted to let her know how unbelievably blessed I am to know her and to call her my friend. Love ya, Bess. I mean Beff. I mean Beth. Love ya through and through.

That is all. Carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment