Friday, August 5, 2011

Shhh.....

At the start of the summer, the hubby and I sat down and made a To-Do list of projects we wanted to accomplish around the house. It wasn't an extremely complicated list. Mainly a lot of nit-picky projects. We knew re-sodding the yard was going to be a huge project to take on, which it was, so we kept the rest of the list relatively simple. For instance, my in-laws gave us some lovely patio furniture that they didn't have room for anymore. It's one of those tall tables with two swivel chairs made out of a taupe colored iron. They're very pretty and very much a style that I like, but I have a thing for black wrought iron and I've been dying to transform this furniture with some magic potion that can bought at Lowe's for about $6.00.

I discovered wrought iron spray paint when we first built our house. I had no idea such a thing existed. It transformed all of the icky gold, brassy chandeliers and fixtures in our house into these Europeanesque beauties. At least, that's how I see them. I love anything that reminds me of France or Italy. Not that I've ever been there, not yet anyway...Okay, getting off track. Wrought iron spray paint is so amazing because it coats so well that you'd never, ever know that it was spray paint. It's easy, fast, and cheap, a.k.a. my kind of language!

So, by now this project should've been done. All it would require is a few hours. But of course, I have put this off like the million other things in life that I tend to put off. What's been stopping me is the seat cushions. I haven't been able to find any new outdoor cushions that I like. I decided that I wouldn't paint the furniture till I had cushions to place on it. I'd been avoiding buying my own fabric to make cushions for, I admit, totally lazy reasons. Buying my own fabric would mean I'd actually have to take time and extra money to have them made, or....or....I'd have to finally take the sewing machine that's still in its box laughing at me (see my very first post on this blog) and learn how to use it. I don't know why I keep resisting learning to use it. I just do.

However, while out shopping around looking for the perfect cushions, I've made an interesting discovery. These cushions in stores are simply BUTT UGLY!! Bleck, I've never seen such lack of originality. I don't mean to sound snobbish, but come on designers, can't you do a little bit better than TAN? Geeze louise! I knew I wanted something colorful and non-floral. Something blue perhaps since I lack a lot of blue inside my house. Deep blue. Mediterranean blue. A unique pattern that you won't come across in Target. Ahhh...





















And I found it. I found just what I was looking for. But it's fabric by the yard. For a relatively good price. That means that I have no choice. I have to...I have to...I have to learn to use the sewing machine!!....Oh well, it was bound to happen I suppose.

So now, I have to get some fabric ordered and fashion myself some cushy-tushy-cushions (try saying that five times in a row). A yard produces quite a bit of fabric, and since I'll end up only using a small portion of it, I'll have enough leftover to make some other goodies too, like back pillows and a bench cushion (for the bench that I don't have yet but will when the hubby builds me one--which I've now added to my mental list!). Ooh! This could be a lot of fun!

Okay, I've got the cushion part in the works now. I have a plan. I can't move forward without a plan, man. This is where the shhhhh part comes in, though. I'm always very good about including David in my creative ideas and things I'd like us to do with the house. He's an artist through and through and enjoys having an opinion in just about anything we do involving colors, which I'm glad for. I'd rather he have some opinion than none at all. Neither of us were entirely sure what to do about these cushions, though. Now he's out of town for over a week, I'm sitting on a colorful blue plan that I'm itching to get working on, and I might be completely heartbroken if by some chance he hates the fabric I've fallen in love with. So, what to do....well...

I'm going to spray those chairs. I'm going to spray that table. And I'm going to buy that fabric. Yup. I'm buying it and that's all there is to it. If he doesn't like it, he's going to have to learn to. If you leave me here alone to go watch the Pittsburgh Steelers practice at training camp for a week with your dad, this is the price you pay, bucko! Shenanigans will surely follow!

Will you join me on this adventure? It will be our little secret. He's too busy trying to get Troy Polamalu's autograph right now to be paying attention to this blog. He'll discover my dastardly deed when he comes back to Florida, and as God as my witness, he will like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment