Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Little Things, Big Impact

I'm always saying, it's the little things. It's the little things that make me happiest, the little things that make me laugh more than anything (and usually the dorkiest things I might add), and the little things that mean so much to me, even though they may not mean much for others who may take them for granted. Those little things usually add up to one hefty impact.

Lately, I've been paying extra special attention to those little things--in terms of my weight loss--and decided that perhaps I should start keeping track of them...just in case I ever find myself slipping...

I'm confident of not slipping, though. I haven't always had the peaches to make a statement like that, but these days I'm saying it with gusto. I've got my non-slip shoes on and I'm not going anywhere.

This is all metaphorically speaking, of course. I once worked as a hostess in a bar and grill for three years and was required to wear non-slip shoes. Oh boy, you want to talk about ugly...

Anyways, here are the little things I have tallied thus far:

1. I can cross my legs again

2. I can bend over in the shower to shave my legs and no longer feel like I am going to pass out. (Once, over a year ago, I was bending over and actually felt so short of breath--you know, because my big gut was in the way--that when I stood up my head was spinning and I felt like I was going to collapse. Yeah, fun times.)

3. I recently discovered that when I sit on the floor with my legs out in front of me I can actually touch my toes again!

4. My favorite belt fits again. And I actually have use for it now rather than just being a wall ornament hanging on a nail inside my closet.

5. It no longer takes an act of God to paint my toenails.

6. Booths in restaurants look and feel a lot less intimidating.

7. I sleep better these days, and lately all through the night. (Sleep is something I've struggled with my whole life so this is a big one)

8. When I want a snack these days, I've found myself unconsciously reaching for fruit or raw almonds. I swear, I never saw that coming.

9. I have finally learned to like oatmeal! I have detested oatmeal my entire life--both the smell and the texture gave me the creeps. But I was determined to make myself like it because it's so darn good for you. David cooked me some and added some honey and banana to it, and what do you know...It took a while to get that first bowl down, but I'm now eating oatmeal regularly and enjoying it a lot. Wonders never cease.

10. My cravings have stopped. I know I've mentioned that in previous blogs, but it still floors me. Junk food has actually lost a lot of its appeal to me and I find that utterly amazing.

11. Going into stores--or anywhere really--feels less scary. It's a difficult thing to explain to someone who has never experienced it, but when you're really overweight, people--not all people, but many--are simply not very kind to you. Or they won't look at you. Or they will offer help to everybody around except you. Or they talk to you like you're an idiot. Whether they do it consciously or not, people can be really mean. And everybody wonders why I prefer most dogs to humans...

12. My hair, nails, and skin have never looked so good.

13. I'm no longer scared to go to the doctor. I used to dread, and I mean DREAD, going to the doctor for even just a simple check-up. I dreaded it because I knew as soon as they strapped that blood pressure thingy on my arm that they were going to tell me, "You know, your blood pressure is a little high for someone your age..." The last time I had an appointment I finally stopped getting that lecture. In fact, the last time I got blood work done I saw how well all of my stats improved and were all in the "healthy" range. It's a wonderful thing to not only get smaller but to get healthier.

14. My "Ugg" boots (okay, I'll admit it, they're not really Uggs. They're the Old Navy version, but I don't care. Real Uggs cost too much money!) that I bought last year in black and brown and used to have to sit on the floor and squirm like a pretzel to get on over my fat ankles (I refuse to use the word 'cankles' because they weren't quite that bad) now slip on to my feet with ease. In fact, I can stand up and slip my foot down into them without even holding them and my foot glides right in. It's going to be such a more relaxing winter...

15. I'm no longer horrified by pictures of myself. Well, of ones taken presently, that is. I'm now horrified when I see pictures of myself from only a year ago.

16. If I were to run into someone I haven't seen in a while today, I wouldn't hide. About a year and a half ago I was in Target and spotted one of my old neighbors who I was great friends with as a kid. I would have loved to have talked to him and caught up, but instead I actually ducked into an aisle and hid so he wouldn't see me. Oh, and also last year when I attended the funeral of an old childhood friend and classmate of mine from grade school and high school who passed away and found myself face to face with about 80% of my old high school classmates, I was so beyond mortified that I can't even begin to put it into words. I owed it to my old friend who died to be there because I needed to make peace with a few things between she and I from a long time ago, but that was the only reason I went. Other than that, I wanted so badly to sit in a corner with a heavy veil over my face and fade away.

17. My back hurts less when I'm standing around, doing the dishes for example. It's still a little achy (because I'm still pretty top heavy, if you get my drift...), but it's improving a lot and will hopefully keep getting better.

18. Going for walks actually makes me feel physically better.

19. It's getting easier and easier to say NO to things I don't want and to people who are trying to offer me something that I do not need. This has always been a toughy.

And finally,

20. My dear hubby can't keep his hands off of me. Me likey.


Now that I've probably grossed you all out, I'll leave you with a quote that I read yesterday that made me laugh hysterically for some reason...

"There are only two kinds of people who wear sunglasses at night. Blind people and assholes." --Larry David

Have a swell day...

1 comment:

  1. OMG...I absolutely LOVED this post! Great job Katie! You are pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete