Saturday, October 22, 2011

Take Me To China


China. I love me some china...

I could actually look at and discuss china patterns all day long if it permitted. China sadly seems to be becoming a lost want these days, whether with new brides or anyone in the market for some beautiful dinnerware. Even on the special occasions like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, or just a nice dinner party, I'm beginning to see less and less of "the good stuff" on peoples' tables. In these times, people, particularly couples, aren't interested in fragile dishes that not only cost a lot of money but require special care and extra space in their cabinets. Instead, people seem to be buying one set of quality dishes that can serve as both casual and be dressed up to something fancier. Solid white dinnerware has definitely become a huge trend since it's so versatile and makes all food look especially colorful and appetizing. Heck, my own everyday dinnerware is solid white. But me? If I had my choice, I'd have a different set of china to bust out for every month of the year!

When I was engaged and registering for gifts, china was the one thing I actually didn't need. You see, when my mother passed away sixteen years ago, my father made my sisters and I decide very early on who would "get" what of my mom's most valuable things. For whatever reason, my dad wanted this decided early on. One of those things was my parents' full set of Lenox china. Even as a teenager, I was incredibly old fashioned and loved the idea of having those dishes on my table one day. None of my sisters were interested in the china, so I was the one to get it. So when it came time for me to get married, china wasn't necessary because we already had the whole set waiting for us.




Sometimes I regret that. Not that I need another set of china, but occasionally I do regret not picking out a new pattern together with my own husband. But make no mistake, I love my parents' china. It's made by Lenox, who I think makes some of the prettiest and most classic china out there, and the pattern is called Moonspun. It's been discontinued for quite a while now and can no longer be found in stores, and of course it's the china that I grew up eating off of at the dining room table, so it's extra special to me to have it in my possession. Even more, not only do I have the china, but I have my parents dining room table and china cabinet in my house, where I get to look at the china on display every single day, so to me it's a true treasure. But of course...

...I still have my fantasy patterns. Patterns that I dream of pulling out whenever the occasion could call for it. For example...



















Bernardau's "Constance"Otherwise known as "The Charlotte York" china. I remember seeing this for the first time when watching Sex and the City and being mesmerized by the green leaves. So beautiful and so very, very expensive...
















Lenox Holiday Tartan Most people go for the Lenox Holly pattern, which I also love, but there is something about this Tartan pattern that just grabs me. Around the holidays, I have a thing for plaid, I think because I associate plaid with warm, snuggly blankets in front of a roaring fire. There's just something very cozy about it. Or maybe attending Catholic school my whole life had something to do with it. Who knows!
























Spode's "Blue Italian" Oh my, I love love love this china. I'm certain many people would turn their noses up at this old fasioned look--it's been around since 1816--but to me it's absolutely classic and beautiful. Perhaps one day...



























Wedgewood's "Renaissance Gold"I adore the blue pattern. It makes me think of the Meditteranean. It's almost like a modern twist on the colors of the Spode pattern above. Simply gorgeous!


I could go on and on. Seriously, why aren't people interested in aquiring china for themselves anymore? There could be nothing very interesting or special about passing down my clean white dinner plates from Bed Bath & Beyond to children or grandchildren. But fine bone china rimmed in platinum, delicate and intricate, that's something else.

What china pattern do you have? And if you don't have any, which are your dream patterns? I'm very interested, so tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment